The outcomes of this study were presented at a side event at the recent COP24 Event, held in Katowice Poland on December 4th 2018. The DSF panel included the following speakers:
- Mr Hayden Montgomery – Global Research Alliance on Agricultural GHG Emissions – Chair of the side event.
- Mr Donald Moore – Chairman DSF,
- Mr Martial Bernoux – FAO
- Brian Lindsay – DSF
- Lucy Nganga – Ministry of Agriculture – Kenya
- Carolina Balian – Ministry of Agriculture, Uruguay
Donald Moore, Chairman of the DSF presented a contextual picture of the dairy sector that defined the value of the sector from both a nutritional and economic perspective.
Mr Martial Bernoux delivered the outcomes of the FAO analysis:
- Milk production has increased 30% over the last 10 years globally
- Emissions intensity has reduced by 11%
- Emissions intensity decreases have been recorded in ALL dairy regions of the world
- Absolute emissions have increased by 18% though the study found that without the actions made by the sector this would have been closer to 38%
Brian Lindsay outlined how the DSF is providing the Framework for the sector to increase the alignment and speed of its sustainability continuous improvement.
Lucy Nganga (Kenya) and Carolina Balian (Uruguay) shared with those present the investment being made in these two countries in support of sustainable dairy sector development and the quantification of progress through effective adaptation plans.
The full report will be launched in January 2019.
A copy of the fact sheet that was developed for the session can be accessed here .
Or to see a recording of the side event click here.